!

Visit Metro Watch

Visit Metro Watch
Click For More Details

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Ifeoluwapo Odedere: Unflushed Toilets and Religious Doctrines

After reading my previous article on
BellaNaija, a friend asked for my
opinion on certain church doctrines
and the adherence by members.

More specifically, she asked about
the Catholic Church's stance on
contraception. Here's how she put
it: 'My parents are catholic and the
Catholic Church frowns at
contraception. But my parents have only three
children, so I know that they did not adhere to
this doctrine.' At that point in time, I did not
know what to make of it – 'Hypocrisy' was the
only word that came to mind. It wasn't until two
weeks ago that I finally got my answer and it
came from an unflushed toilet.

I was at the doctor's lounge of one of the leading
hospitals in Lagos (or so it seems) and I decided
to make use of one of the restrooms. Now this is
the restroom for doctors – the principal
champions of health and hygiene – so you can
understand that I let my guard down when
entering the restroom. What greeted me
however, when I opened the door of one of the
restrooms, was too graphic to describe – a fetid
odor of feces mixed with decomposing urine of
varying concentrations slammed my nostrils just
in time for my eyes to behold the toilet bowl,
which was almost filled with brown mass. Gosh!

I screamed and slammed the door shut. I
opened the door of the second restroom. This
one was slightly better – It was filled with
golden-brown concentrated urine; the odor was
manageable. Holding my breath, I quickly
emptied the contents of my bladder into the
toilet bowl, contributing my little bit into the
commonwealth of decomposing urine. So
assaulted was I by the ordeal that I immediately
ran outside for some fresh air.

No comments: